Pages

Monday 3 February 2014

Bucket List | "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

February has arrived and it makes me wonder where the hell January went. It only feels like yesterday we were welcoming in the new year with champagne, fireworks and loved ones. When I was younger my mum would always tell me that the years go by faster as you grow older. I didn't realise how right she was until recently. I remember the day that my youngest brother came into the world so vividly. Almost 13 years later and it only feels like 5 minutes ago that I was consumed by the disappointment of not having a sister. One day, I'll blink and wake up 50, with 3 children and a dog roaming round my house. It's so scary to think that your life can slip through your fingers without you realising it. I don't want to get to my last days and wish that I had done more with the years I had.
We only get a short time on earth. I don't want the last thing I think of to be 'what if?'


10 of the 3851085183951 things on my Bucket List
In no particular order:

1. Go to New York at Christmas. Who doesn't want to visit New York at Christmas? It is the most beautiful place at that time of year and I always see it on TV and wish I could be there. I want to go to Macy's and buy presents for my loved ones, and gorge myself on chocolate covered pretzels.
2. Learn to play piano. 
3. Buy and run a pub. How great would this be? I love independent public houses and it would be a dream of mine (and Danny's) to own and run one. Serving home cooked food and great beer. Who could want anymore?
4. Go to Disneyworld with my kids. 
5. See the worlds famous landmarks. There are so many absolutely beautiful places in world and it would devastate me to not see any before I pop my clogs. You've got The Northern Lights, Great Wall of China, Eiffel Tower, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Pyramids of Giza. There are far too many to name and I know I'll never get to see them all, but I don't want to miss out so I'd like to see a couple. Hopefully I can persuade Danny these are good holidays...
6. Learn another language.
7. Do something crazy. Be more spontaneous and stop worrying about things and just do them. It's great to be cautious, but I can't let it rule my life. The craziest thing I've ever done is Jet Skii across the coast of Tenerife, so I'm really not into that sort of thing. I would love to be brave enough to sky dive or bungee jump - maybe for a charity because I'm such a wimp and it'll make it more worthwhile.
8. Get married and start a family. I put these as one because they go hand in hand for me. This one is the most important. I've found someone I love so much that I can do this with and that for me is so special. Walking down the aisle was never really something I was too bothered about when I was a teenager, so writing this now is a bit strange. Now, I long for the day when I have a ring on my left hand and can walk toward the love of my life in a beautiful white gown knowing we will spend the rest of our lives together.
9. Write and release an EP.
10. Be the best version of myself I can be.  Being a good person is really important to me. I want to be a good wife, a great mother and be the best Charley possible. This is such a long winded part of my bucket list because it affects almost everything, and there is no way I can mention all of it here. Nobody has enough time for that but I often get out of the shower (there is something magical about showers, I swear) and have a revelation. Sometimes it's about how to be more attractive, to lose weight, be more motivated... and now I know I need to stop thinking about being the best version of myself and actually BE that version. It will take time, but the best things come to those that wait, right? 

Do you have a bucket list? If so, what is the top thing on that list? 


2 comments:

  1. Your wedding ring doesn't go on your index finger x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh learning another language is a good one! i'd love to be able to speak italian! my bucket list is mainly to travel more! i want to go all around south america!! :)
    xxx
    http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete