Pages

Sunday 9 February 2014

Long Distance Relationships | "Distance means so little, when someone means so much."

Sunday. My least favourite day of the week.

It's that time again, Danny has left to go back to work for the week. 120 miles apart (he always says it's not 'long distance', but 120 miles is pretty bloody far), 5 days a week. I long for the days where we can wake up together every morning and fall asleep in each others arms in the evening. After two and a bit years of barely seeing each other during the week, we are looking at moving in with each other in the next few months, which means I don't have too much longer to wait.

With Danny being in the military, I'm fully aware that our situation could be one hundred times worse. He could be jetting around the world, but he is only halfway across the country. People try and make a point of saying 'it could be worse', but just because it could be, it doesn't mean what we do isn't hard too. I find comfort in thinking that there are only about 12 weekends left before we take the first step into buying a house together. We've made it this far without spending every second of the day with each other, we can make it through this.

Even though long distance relationships are hard (...really hard), they do have their benefits. You get your own space, miss each other throughout the week which makes the friday night cuddles even better and appreciate the time you spend together so much more. Just knowing that he is travelling down, blasting my One Direction album, to my house at 3pm on a Friday makes me so warm inside. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Butterflies still swarm my stomach when I open the door and he's there with a little grin on his face. Basically, 2 years on and we're still in the honeymoon period, it's great. We've been together since we were 19 and have done so much growing up. It's almost as if we're morphing into proper adults. Eeek. Recently, we've begun planning the next stage of our relationship, moving into a house, for me that just cements what we have. I'm getting all giddy just thinking about it.

love


However, spending the majority of your time without the one you love is hard. You spend hours just wishing they could be with you because you're having a bad day. Everything around reminds you of them. With Danny being so far away so much of the time, my insecurities are sky high. It's not easy at all to control them, but it's something I have to try to do. A long distance relationship won't work unless you make them. There has to be effort put in and compromises made. I never saw myself in a relationship like this, but now that I am, I couldn't imagine anything else. He is everything to me, and even though I don't get to see him everyday, the time we do see each other is so special. I try to make every second count. Just waking up, cuddled into him, on a Saturday and Sunday morning makes the days spent without him a bit better.

Are long distance relationships worth it? Definitely. Don't completely write off a relationship with someone that lives miles away. If you do, you'll never know if that person was 'the one'.

Are any of you in a situation like this? How do you cope?

14 comments:

  1. That's so sweet. Don't lose the honeymoon wonder when you move in together.

    I did long-distance for about eight months or so where we only saw each other every other week, although it's not great, it did give us the chance to do our own thing when we were apart so that when we were together we really made the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're both so excited to move in together, and with the days he will be working and with me working too, it won't be like we're stepping on each others toes. Yeah, definitely. I think they either work out or they don't, but at least you gave it a shot! x

      Delete
  2. I have been with my husband for a little over 10 years (we met when I was 14 and he was 16). We moved in together when I was 20 and spent pretty much every single day together until last August 2012 (on my birthday) he decided to move to Reykjavik in Iceland for a better career prospect. I joined him out here in the New Year, so we literally spent a whole 4 months apart from each other and solely relied on daily skype calls which really isn't the same. I can see what you're going through and when you finally buy a house together it will all fall back in to place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely. Wow, that's amazing. It's so nice of you to leave everything behind and start fresh in another place. I have to do that in a few months, luckily not another country though. I can't wait. How did you find the 4 months? Danny may have to go out to Afghan or wherever we are next for that length of time and obviously won't be able to skype much. Thank you for your comment. x

      Delete
    2. I won't lie to you it was hard. But being around family kept me busy and contented. It was harder for my husband because he was out there all on his own, and some days it would hit him hard. I strongly believe though that if your relationship is 100% solid which I'm sure it is, then you'll battle through it. It filled me with dread when I knew he'd have to leave for a few months (and also the thought of me upping and leaving!) but it's not going to be forever, and we will be back home in the UK by the end of the year. It's our little adventure :)

      Delete
    3. I guess I shouldn't kid myself into thinking it would be easy, haha. Hopefully he won't have to go out, but I try to keep telling myself it'll be okay if he does. That's not too bad then. Little adventures are what keep everything exciting. x

      Delete
  3. I couldn't image being in a long distance relationship! Matt and I work a lot so there are weeks when we don't get to see each other often, but I couldn't image not seeing him for an extended period of time. I give you a lot of kudos! P.S. I love your blog! You have a new follower :)

    http://www.thetinyprofessional.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does suck. I would give my right arm to be able to spend more time with him. Thank you! x

      Delete
  4. Long distance sucks ( sorry but it does). I've been in one for 7 years now. I haven't seen him for two years now but we talk to each other everyday.

    But when we do see each other, the time flies by and is never enough. You are right, it does have it's good that you have your own space but it gets to a stage where you just want him beside you. There are times when I just need a hug and wish he was there. It is difficult. Yes things could be worse but being in one itself is really hard.

    I would give up anything to be spending time together. Life is much more beautiful when we are together. Sorry got carried away. I wish you both the best and wishing and praying that you both will be together every single day in each other's arms. Loads of hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does, haha. Oh gosh, why 2 years? I know, it seems like the weeks I get to see him go so much quicker than the time i'm without him. You really have taken the words out of my mouth. It is exactly like that. Its nice to have time alone but I would love to spend it with him. Thank you very much x

      Delete
  5. I love this post.. So heartfelt. Long distance can definitely be hard.. Best of luck to you two on moving in together :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how you do it but I admire you a lot for sticking with your relationship, it's obviously been worth it. I was about to get involved with someone I cared about a lot (and still do), but when he decided to go to Canada for a year I just couldn't see myself doing it. I don't think he did either. It was really hard to say goodbye to him, but I know it would've been a lot harder had we started a relationship before he left. I miss him a lot, even though it's only been a couple of weeks but at least he's visiting again in April.
    Maybe we'll give it a shot when he's back.
    Good luck with the move, and thank you for sharing this x

    ReplyDelete


  7. My Name is Emil.I will love to share my testimony to all the people in the forum cos i never thought i will have my girlfriend back and she means so much to me..The girl i want to get marry to left me 4 weeks to our wedding for another man..,When i called her she never picked my calls,She deleted me on her facebook and she changed her facebook status from married to Single...when i went to her to her place of work she told her boss she never want to see me..I lost my job as a result of this cos i cant get myself anymore,my life was upside down and everything did not go smooth with my life...I tried all i could do to have her back to all did not work out until i met a Man when i Travel to Africa to execute some business have been developing some years back..I told him my problem and all have passed through in getting her back and how i lost my job...he told me he gonna help me...i don't believe that in the first place.but he swore he will help me out and he told me the reason why my girlfriend left me and also told me some hidden secrets.i was amazed when i heard that from him..he said he will cast a spell for me and i will see the results in the next couple of days..then i travel back to Us the following day and i called him when i got home and he said he's busy casting those spells and he has bought all the materials needed for the spells,he said am gonna see positive results in the next 2 days that is Thursday...My girlfriend called me at exactly 12:35pm on Thursday and apologies for all she had done ..she said,she never knew what she's doing and her sudden behavior was not intentional and she promised not to do that again.it was like am dreaming when i heard that from her and when we ended the call,i called the man and told him my wife called and he said i haven't seen anything yet... he said i will also get my job back in 3 days time..and when its Sunday,they called me at my place of work that i should resume working on Monday and they gonna compensate me for the time limit have spent at home without working..My life is back into shape,i have my girlfriend back and we are happily married now with kids and i have my job back too.This man is really powerful..if we have up to 20 people like him in the world,the world would have been a better place..he has also helped many of my friends to solve many problems and they are all happy now..Am posting this to the forum for anybody that is interested in meeting the man for help.you can mail him to agumaguspelltemple@gmail.com I cant give out his number cos he told me he don't want to be disturbed by many people across the world..he said his email is okay and he' will replied to any emails asap..hope he helped u out too..good luck:agumaguspelltemple@gmail.com.Once Again His Email Address Is: agumaguspelltemple@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete